Hi again.
嗨了。
Ready to get back into it?
准备好重新开始了吗?
Let's go. Time estimation,
我们走吧。时间估计,
effort estimation,
努力估计,
and capacity planning are all helpful techniques for creating your project schedule.
容量规划都是创建项目时间表的有用技巧。
At the center of all this planning is your team.
所有这些计划的中心是你的团队。
Throughout the schedule-planning process,
在整个计划过程中,
you're working with teammates to gather estimates,
你和队友一起收集估算数据,
and you're taking into account each person's capacity when building the project schedule.
在制定项目进度表时,你要考虑到每个人的能力。
It makes sense to involve your teammates at this stage.
在这个阶段让你的队友参与进来是有意义的。
After all, the person assigned to the given task is likely to have the best sense of how long it will take to complete that task.
毕竟,被分配到给定任务的人可能最清楚完成这项任务需要多长时间。
They'll also have the best sense of their own capacity for taking on the work.
他们也会对自己承担工作的能力有最好的感觉。
But these conversations are a two-way discussion,
但这些对话是双向的讨论,
and you'll need to tap into your soft skills to get the most accurate estimate from your team.
你需要利用你的软技能从你的团队中得到最准确的估计。
Soft skills are personal characteristics that help people work effectively with others.
软技能是帮助人们有效地与他人合作的个人特征。
These include crucial communication and interpersonal skills we've discussed over the course of this program.
这些包括我们在本课程中讨论过的重要的沟通和人际交往技巧。
Soft skills can be important when trying to understand what might be blocking someone's ability to do their best work.
在试图理解是什么阻碍了某人把工作做到最好时,软技能是很重要的。
Let's go over three ways to use soft skills and gather accurate estimates from your teammates.
让我们来看看三种使用软技能的方法,并从你的队友那里收集准确的评估。
These are asking the right questions, negotiating effectively, and practicing empathy.
这些是问正确的问题,有效的谈判和练习同理心。
Let's start with asking the right questions.
让我们从问正确的问题开始。
Think of conversations around the time estimation as a kind of interview.
把关于时间估计的对话看作是一种面试。
You're connecting with your teammates to learn more about how they work on specific tasks,
你和你的队友联系,了解他们是如何完成特定任务的,
and you'll use this information to build your schedule.
你会利用这些信息来制定你的时间表。
To aim to get the most relevant information from these conversations,
为了从这些对话中获得最相关的信息,
you'll want to be certain that you're asking effective,
你要确保你的要求是有效的,
open-ended questions that lead to the answers you're seeking.
开放式的问题,指向你想要的答案。
An open-ended question is a question that cannot be answered with a yes or a no.
开放式问题是一个不能用是或否来回答的问题。
The answer provides the relevant details of what you need to know.
答案提供了您需要知道的相关细节。
Let's imagine this in the context of your project at Office Green.
让我们想象一下,在你的绿色办公室项目的背景下。
You've discussed the design of the new website with your web designer,
你已经和你的网页设计师讨论了新网站的设计,
and you'd like to know how long it will take them to mock up designs for your review.
你想知道他们需要多长时间来模拟设计供你审查。
Now let's say you start the conversation by asking a question like,
现在假设你通过问这样的问题开始对话,
can you complete the mock-ups in one week?
你能在一周内完成这些模型吗?
This is a closed-ended question and might elicit a simple yes or no answer,
这是一个封闭的问题,可能会得到一个简单的"是"或"不是"的回答,
which doesn't tell you much about the task of designing a website or about your teammate's working style.
这并不能告诉你设计网站的任务或你的队友的工作风格。
Now, imagine if you had started this conversation with an open-ended question.
现在,想象一下,如果你以一个开放式的问题开始这个对话。
For example, you might ask the web designer something like,
例如,你可能会问网页设计师,
how long does it typically take you to mock up a website design like this one?
你通常要花多长时间来模拟这样一个网站的设计?
This is an open-ended question and is more likely to elicit a more detailed response. From there,
这是一个开放式的问题,更有可能引出更详细的回答。从那里,
you can ask follow up questions like,
你可以问一些后续问题,比如,
how complex are the steps to complete this task?
完成这项任务的步骤有多复杂?
What are the risks associated with this task?
与此任务相关的风险是什么?
And, when do you think you can have this ready?
你觉得什么时候可以准备好?
By asking your teammates effective,
通过要求你的队友有效,
open-ended questions about their assigned tasks,
关于分配任务的开放式问题,
you can learn more about how they work and what they do.
你可以更多地了解它们的工作原理和功能。
As you have more of these conversations,
当你有更多这样的对话时,
you will develop a better sense of your teammates roles and their tasks,
你会对队友的角色和任务有更好的认识,
and you will be able to rely less on your team to make accurate estimates.
这样你就可以更少地依赖你的团队来做出准确的估计。
Another way to use soft skills to gather estimates from teammates is to negotiate effectively.
使用软技能从队友那里收集评估的另一种方法是进行有效的谈判。
Part of your job as the project manager is to bridge the gap between high-level goals of the project and the day-to-day perspective of your team.
作为项目经理,你的部分工作是在项目的高层目标和团队的日常观点之间架起桥梁。
While your project might be your number one priority,
虽然你的项目可能是你的首要任务,
it's possible that people on your project team have competing priorities on other teams to keep track of,
有可能你项目团队中的人在其他团队中有相互竞争的优先级要跟踪,
as well. Negotiating effectively can help you influence a team member to make your project their priority,
也。有效的谈判可以帮助你影响团队成员,让他们优先考虑你的项目,
by collaborating to find an outcome that works for everyone.
通过合作找到一个对每个人都有效的结果。
For example, let's imagine that the website designer estimates it will take them two weeks to mock up the website design for review.
例如,让我们想象一下,网站设计师估计他们需要两周的时间来模拟网站设计以供审查。
But perhaps you were hoping that the estimate might be closer to one week.
但也许你希望估计时间更接近一周。
To arrive at an estimate that works for both you and the designer,
为了得出一个对你和设计师都有效的估计,
you might gently challenge the estimate by asking follow-up questions.
你可以通过问一些后续问题来质疑这个估计。
Perhaps you'd ask if their estimate includes mocking up designs for multiple pages.
也许你会问他们的估计是否包括多个页面的模拟设计。
If so, you might ask if the designer is able to share one or two pages with you sooner than their proposed deadline.
如果是这样,你可以问设计师是否可以在他们提出的截止日期之前与你分享一到两页。
By asking questions,you can determine if their estimate is flexible,
通过提问,你可以确定他们的估计是否灵活,
or if you need to bring in an additional designer to support the schedule.
或者如果你需要额外的设计师来支持你的计划。
By negotiating effectively with your teammates,
通过与你的队友进行有效的谈判
you can create a sense of shared ownership over the project outcomes and create a schedule that aligns with everyone's workload.
您可以创建一种共享项目成果的感觉,并创建一个与每个人的工作量相一致的时间表。
Now let's discuss the value of practicing empathy.
现在我们来讨论练习同理心的价值。
Empathy refers to a person's ability to relate to the thoughts and feelings of others.
同理心是指一个人与他人的想法和感受相联系的能力。
Practicing empathy at work can be a very effective way to build trust with your team.
在工作中练习同理心是与团队建立信任的一种非常有效的方式。
Your teammates are humans,
你的队友是人类,
and each person can only do so much.
每个人只能做这么多。
When you're discussing estimates with the team,
当你和团队讨论评估时,
you might practice empathy by asking each person about their workload,
你可以通过询问每个人的工作量来练习同理心,
including work outside of your project and the overall work-life balance.
包括项目之外的工作和整体的工作与生活平衡。
You might also ask if they've scheduled vacation or leave during the duration of the project,
你也可以问他们是否在项目期间安排了假期或离开,
or if there are crucial holidays in which they won't be working.
或者如果有重要的节日他们不工作。
This can help you avoid assigning tasks when teammates are unable to complete them on time.
这可以帮助您避免在队友无法按时完成任务时分配任务。
For example, the web designer might tell you that they're also designing a website for another team at Office Green,
例如,网页设计师可能会告诉你,他们也在为Office Green的另一个团队设计一个网站,
and that the timeline for both projects overlap.
而且这两个项目的时间表重叠。
So, to avoid overloading your designer with work,
所以,为了避免设计师的工作负担过重,
you might work with the other project manager to balance workloads across the teams.
您可能会与其他项目经理一起工作,以平衡团队之间的工作量。
People like to feel their work is valued,
人们喜欢感觉自己的工作受到重视,
so part of empathy is remembering to always be appreciative of the work,
所以移情的一部分是记住要永远感激工作,
collaboration, and support that you're getting from the team.
协作,以及你从团队中得到的支持。
So, to recap, asking the right questions,
总结一下,问对问题,
negotiating effectively,
有效的谈判,
and practicing empathy can help you get viable,
练习同理心可以帮助你生存下去,
accurate estimates from your teammates about project tasks.
团队成员对项目任务的准确估计。
Coming up, we will discuss putting these estimates to good use in the project plan.
接下来,我们将讨论如何在项目计划中充分利用这些评估。